Greetings Dev! Hosting a Space Engineers server can be a challenging task, especially if you have little technical knowledge. However, with the right tools and knowledge, you can easily create a server that meets your needs. In this article, we will provide you with a comprehensive guide on hosting a Space Engineers server. We will cover everything from the initial setup to troubleshooting common issues. So, let’s get started!
Choosing a Hosting Provider
When it comes to hosting a Space Engineers server, you have two options: hosting it on your own computer or using a hosting provider. While hosting it on your own computer is the cheapest option, it comes with some downsides. Your computer needs to be up and running at all times, and you will have to deal with port forwarding and firewall settings. On the other hand, using a hosting provider takes care of all these technical details, but it comes with a monthly fee. Here are some of the best hosting providers for Space Engineers:
Starting at $7.50/month
Easy setup, customizable settings, automatic backups
Starting at $12/month
Low ping, active community, 24/7 support
Starting at $12.50/month
One-click setup, live chat support, multiple data centers
Setting Up Your Server
Once you have chosen a hosting provider, the next step is to set up your server. This process will vary depending on the provider you choose, but here are the general steps:
- Log in to your provider’s control panel
- Create a new server instance
- Choose your desired server location
- Customize your server settings, such as map size and game mode
- Save your settings and wait for the server to be created
Once your server is up and running, you can connect to it using the IP address and port number provided by your hosting provider. From there, you can customize your server further by adding mods, changing settings, and managing players.
Managing Your Server
One of the best things about Space Engineers is its modding community. There are thousands of mods available that can enhance your gaming experience. Here’s how to add mods to your server:
- Find the mod you want to add on the Steam Workshop
- Subscribe to the mod
- Go to your server’s control panel and click “Mod Manager”
- Select the mods you want to add and click “Save”
- Restart your server for the changes to take effect
Changing Server Settings
Space Engineers has a lot of customizable settings that can affect gameplay. Here are some of the most important ones:
- Map size: Determines the size of the game world
- Game mode: Determines the type of game you are playing (survival or creative)
- Inventory size: Determines the maximum inventory size for players
- Block limits: Determines the maximum number of blocks players can build
You can change these settings by going to your server’s control panel and clicking “Configuration”. From there, you can customize the settings to your liking and save them.
If you are running a public server, you will need to manage your players. Here are some tips:
- Set up rules and guidelines for your server
- Enforce these rules fairly and consistently
- Moderate chat to prevent harassment and toxicity
- Be available to answer questions and address concerns
You can manage players by going to your server’s control panel and clicking “Players”. From there, you can see who is currently connected to your server and manage their permissions.
Troubleshooting Common Issues
If your server is crashing frequently, there could be a few reasons why:
- Insufficient resources: Make sure your server has enough RAM and CPU power
- Mod conflicts: Some mods may conflict with each other and cause crashes
- Corrupted files: Sometimes game files can become corrupted and cause crashes
To troubleshoot server crashes, try disabling mods one by one to see if the crashes stop. You can also try verifying the game files through Steam or contacting your hosting provider for assistance.
If players are having trouble connecting to your server, here are some things to check:
- Port forwarding: Make sure your router is properly configured for port forwarding
- Firewall settings: Make sure your firewall is not blocking the game’s ports
- IP address: Make sure you are connecting to the correct IP address and port number
You can troubleshoot connection issues by checking your router and firewall settings and ensuring that players have the correct information to connect to your server.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is Space Engineers?
Space Engineers is a sandbox-style game that allows players to build and explore in space. It features both single-player and multiplayer modes, as well as an extensive modding community.
Can I host a Space Engineers server on my own computer?
Yes, you can host a Space Engineers server on your own computer. However, this comes with some downsides, such as having to deal with firewall settings and port forwarding.
How do I add mods to my Space Engineers server?
To add mods to your Space Engineers server, subscribe to them on the Steam Workshop and then add them through the server’s control panel.
What are some common server issues and how can I troubleshoot them?
Common server issues include crashes and connection problems. To troubleshoot these issues, try disabling mods, checking your router and firewall settings, and verifying the game files through Steam.
That’s it for our guide on hosting a Space Engineers server! We hope you found it helpful. If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask in the comments below.